2004-09-06

Matcha: placebo or miracle drug?

I miss out on a lot of good stuff because I am skeptical enough that placebo effects are not very effective in my case.

For example, the Vancouver Sun recently devoted a lot of column inches to matcha tea. It is filled with testimonials to matcha's energizing powers, such as "With coffee, I really felt the ups and downs of caffeine. With matcha, the energy lasts and I don't crash. The difference is huge."

My wife and I have tried it a few times now and I'm here to report that ... I don't know whether it has an effect or not. The tea itself has a strong flavor so if you buy a prepared cup at Blenz or a tea house, it is likely to be dolled up with lots of milk and sugar. The intense green color is a conversation starter though.

As for its mystical powers, that cause it to "treated just like gold" in Japan, well, I think it helps if you believe in it. I won't say any more so I don't spoil the experience for you.

The stuff is pretty expensive though so maybe that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment